Removable vs. Retractable Bollards
Bollards are sturdy vertical poles that act as a protective barrier against vehicles. They can protect opposing traffic patterns from accidents, buildings from out of control drivers, or pedestrians from automobile traffic. While some bollards are permanent, many applications require removable or retractable bollards for more versatility.
Which Solution Should You Choose?
Removable bollards have a buried receiver underground that holds the barrier securely until it is no longer needed. They can restrict areas for pedestrians, then allow free access again when the bollard post is removed and stored for the day. Retractable bollards are a more convenient option for security access. They quickly rise to restrict vehicles until access is approved, then retract into their base to allow entry.
Although each is best suited for different applications, both removable and retractable bollards provide many advantages.
These heavy-duty posts are designed for temporary restricted entry. Removable bollards enhance safety in parking lots or anywhere that pedestrians are close to vehicle traffic. Built to last, they are heat and weather resistant, require little maintenance, and can be upgraded for additional safety and aesthetic features.
Retractable bollards are a convenient medium to heavy-duty temporary barrier. They are an economical and flexible solution to reduce or redirect traffic to keep pedestrians safe. Retractable bollards also feature fast lift and lower operations, which is highly efficient in emergency situations.
Applications & Sites
Removable bollards are found in a variety of locations and applications, including:
- Parking lots/structures. Removable bollards can deter car thieves, protect parked vehicles from traffic, or restrict parking to certain areas.
- Retail storefronts/entrances. When parking is in front of buildings, crash rated bollards can protect against accidental acceleration or brake failure during store hours, with the option to remove them at other times.
- Traffic flow control. Removable bollards are convenient to separate traffic flow, such as parking lots or access roads.
- Car dealerships. Bollards can be easily removed for aesthetics and traffic flow during the day, then put out at night to prevent vehicle theft.
- Loading areas. Removable bollards can quickly and securely section off areas for safe loading and unloading of trucks, buses, or trailers.
- Schools use removable bollards to direct traffic during pickup and drop off, as well as to provide a safe area for children to walk.
Automatic retractable bollards are another alternative to safeguard pedestrians and buildings, such as:
- Government and public buildings. Areas requiring high security for government officials, dignitaries, or even prisoners may use retractable bollards.
- Hotels and high-profile buildings. High profile buildings will use retractable bollards for celebrity arrivals or during times of high traffic.
- Busways use retractable bollards to deter traffic and create dedicated lanes.
- Shopping centers. Retractable bollards give the flexibility to section off areas for package pickup during holidays or special events.
- City squares and pedestrian malls. Attendees of festivals, concerts, and other special events can be conveniently protected by retractable bollards.
- Dedicated pedestrian areas and parks. Adults and children can walk and play without looking for vehicles when retractable bollards are used in these areas.
- Car parks. Retractable bollards provide easy ingress and egress, as well as security for the vehicles.
- Business parks. Business parks can provide safe spaces for employees to walk between buildings.
- University campuses. Campuses can safeguard students from careless drivers and section off event space when necessary.
Bollard Solutions from Ontario Bollards
Bollards offer a convenient and effective way to restrict access and protect people, vehicles, and buildings against impact. The difference between removable and retractable bollards comes down to cost, features, aesthetics, security level, and the time required to put them up or take them down.
At Ontario Bollards, we offer everything from anti-terrorism barriers to flexible polyurethane bollards and many varieties in between. To determine the right bollard for your application, contact us or request a quote today to speak to our experienced staff.