At Ontario Bollards, we specialize in the supply, service, and installation of asset protection equipment and systems. One of our core product offerings is bollards, which come in a wide range of variations to suit different functional and decorative applications. Below, we highlight stainless steel bollards.
What Is Stainless Steel?
Stainless steel is a type of steel alloy that contains chromium and other elements (e.g., manganese, molybdenum, nickel, niobium, and titanium). The addition of chromium increases the material’s corrosion resistance, while the addition of the other elements enhances its mechanical properties. The result is a strong, durable, and attractive metal with the following characteristics:
- Corrosion resistance
- Impact resistance
- High/low-temperature resistance
- Fire resistance
- Weather resistance (rain and salt)
- High workability
- Easy cleanability
- 100% recyclability
These characteristics can vary depending on the exact composition. For example, a higher chromium content results in better corrosion resistance, while a higher nickel content results in greater flexibility. Regardless of these slight differences, the general characteristics of stainless steel make it well-suited for use in the manufacture of various outdoor parts and products, including bollards.
Stainless Steel Bollards at Ontario Bollards
Bollards are structural elements used for both functional and decorative purposes. For example, they can direct and guide traffic, protect pedestrians and buildings from oncoming vehicles, and enhance the overall design of the landscape. They come in a number of designs and materials to suit different environments and applications.
At Ontario Bollards, we offer bollards made from polyurethane, steel, and stainless steel. Our stainless steel bollards come in the following styles:
- Fixed embedded. Fixed embedded bollards are designed to be embedded in concrete. They have a clean, versatile, and visible design that makes them suitable for installation in any modern building or landscape.
- Surface mount. Surface mount bollards—also known as bolt-down bollards—are designed to be bolted to the ground. They have a sturdy design that makes them ideal for protecting pedestrians, buildings, and equipment from accidental collision damage.
- Retractable. Retractable bollards are designed to retract into the ground and lock in the extended position when needed. They are perfect for applications that need intermittent access control—they are raised to prevent unauthorized vehicles from entering the area, and they are lowered to allow authorized vehicles to enter the area. We offer them in semi-automatic or fully automatic and electromechanical, gas spring, or hydraulic variations.
- Removable. Removable bollards are designed to be installed and removed as needed. They are well-suited for applications that temporarily require a clear and visible barrier that prevents vehicles from entering a high-foot-traffic or restricted area.
These bollards are typically constructed of 316 stainless steel with a #6 satin finish to ensure high resistance to corrosion and weathering. However, they are available in powder coated variations. All posts ship with one of four colored reflector stripes, which are used to improve visibility.
Contact the Bollards Experts at Ontario Bollards Today
Bollards play an essential role in many industrial and commercial facilities. By preventing vehicles from entering restricted areas, they keep personnel and pedestrians safe from injury and buildings and equipment safe from damage.
For high-quality stainless steel bollards you can trust to protect your people, products, and processes, turn to the experts at Ontario Bollards! We maintain a broad selection of bollard products to accommodate various environments and applications. Whether you need a bollard for traffic control, access control, or landscape design, we’ve got you covered. To learn more about our product and service offerings, contact us or request a quote today.
Guard rails are essential elements in any industrial and commercial facility. By protecting people, products, and plant equipment from accidental collision damage, they can save the facility significant amounts of money throughout the year. However, their effectiveness depends on their design. Different styles, sizes, and materials are appropriate for different environments and applications.
Below, we highlight two of the most popular guard rail solutions: steel guard rails and MPM plastic guard rails. We outline what they are, what properties they have, and what applications they are used in.
Overview of Steel Guard Rails
Steel guard rails have been used as a safety barrier solution in various industrial and commercial applications for years. Some of the key benefits of using them over other guard rail solutions include:
- High strength. Steel is strong, hard, and tough. As a result, parts and products made out of them, such as guard rails, can readily withstand impact and other stresses. These qualities are important for components like guard rails that are designed to prevent incoming forces from damaging something (e.g., a person, product, or equipment) on the other side.
- Consistent construction. Over the years, guard rail manufacturers have developed production methods that virtually eliminate inconsistencies from one steel guard to the next. This ensures that guard rails always fit together as intended and form a uniform assembly.
- Long service life. The strength and durability of the steel allow these components to withstand use in harsh conditions over an extended period.
The above characteristics make steel guard rails appropriate for use in a wide range of industrial and commercial facilities and locations. Typical areas where they are installed include:
- Electrical panels
- Industrial facilities and warehouses
- In-plant offices
- Inventory areas
- Loading docks
- Pedestrian aisles
- Work platforms
Overview of MPM Plastic Guard Rails
A popular alternative to traditional steel guard rails is plastic guard rails. A premier provider of these safety barrier products is MPM—an Italian company that designs and manufactures high-quality guard rails made from polymer materials.
MPM plastic guard rails are engineered to protect facility walls from accidental collision by light-duty and heavy-duty trucks and forklifts. Some of the key benefits of using them over other guard rail solutions include:
- High flexibility. The flexibility of the MPM guard rails enables them to absorb impact forces and bounce back to their original shape. This ensures they and the impacting object remain undamaged.
- Durable construction. MPM guard rails are resistant to abrasion, acids, alcohols, detergents, gasoline, and oil. They are also self-extinguishing. These qualities help them maintain their integrity in harsh conditions.
- Hygienic design. Since the plastic material is resistant to detergents, these components can be easily cleaned and sterilized without fear of damage or degradation. This makes it easier for facility workers to maintain sanitary conditions.
- Low maintenance requirements. As MPM guard rails are flexible and durable, they require less maintenance, repair, and replacement than other types of guard rails.
- Good cost-effectiveness. The low maintenance/replacement cost of MPM guard rails, combined with their effectiveness at preventing injury and damage, helps lower the facility’s overall operational costs. Facilities are less likely to need to repair damage, pay for worker compensation, or replace broken goods.
The above characteristics make MPM plastic guard rails suitable for installation in a wide range of industrial and commercial facilities and locations. Typical uses include:
- Car parks
- Food & beverage processing plants
- Industrial facilities and warehouses
- Medical facilities
- Retail stores
- Transportation & logistics centers
Guard Rail Solutions From Ontario Bollards
Need guard rails for your industrial or commercial facility? Turn to the experts at Ontario Bollards! We offer both steel and polymer barrier systems, including steel and MPM plastic guard rails. To learn more about our products and how they can benefit your facility, contact us today. For assistance choosing an appropriate safety barrier product, request a quote.