Guard rails are essential elements in any industrial and commercial facility. By protecting people, products, and plant equipment from accidental collision damage, they can save the facility significant amounts of money throughout the year. However, their effectiveness depends on their design. Different styles, sizes, and materials are appropriate for different environments and applications.
Below, we highlight two of the most popular guard rail solutions: steel guard rails and MPM plastic guard rails. We outline what they are, what properties they have, and what applications they are used in.
Overview of Steel Guard Rails
Steel guard rails have been used as a safety barrier solution in various industrial and commercial applications for years. Some of the key benefits of using them over other guard rail solutions include:
- High strength. Steel is strong, hard, and tough. As a result, parts and products made out of them, such as guard rails, can readily withstand impact and other stresses. These qualities are important for components like guard rails that are designed to prevent incoming forces from damaging something (e.g., a person, product, or equipment) on the other side.
- Consistent construction. Over the years, guard rail manufacturers have developed production methods that virtually eliminate inconsistencies from one steel guard to the next. This ensures that guard rails always fit together as intended and form a uniform assembly.
- Long service life. The strength and durability of the steel allow these components to withstand use in harsh conditions over an extended period.
The above characteristics make steel guard rails appropriate for use in a wide range of industrial and commercial facilities and locations. Typical areas where they are installed include:
- Electrical panels
- Industrial facilities and warehouses
- In-plant offices
- Inventory areas
- Loading docks
- Pedestrian aisles
- Work platforms
Overview of MPM Plastic Guard Rails
A popular alternative to traditional steel guard rails is plastic guard rails. A premier provider of these safety barrier products is MPM—an Italian company that designs and manufactures high-quality guard rails made from polymer materials.
MPM plastic guard rails are engineered to protect facility walls from accidental collision by light-duty and heavy-duty trucks and forklifts. Some of the key benefits of using them over other guard rail solutions include:
- High flexibility. The flexibility of the MPM guard rails enables them to absorb impact forces and bounce back to their original shape. This ensures they and the impacting object remain undamaged.
- Durable construction. MPM guard rails are resistant to abrasion, acids, alcohols, detergents, gasoline, and oil. They are also self-extinguishing. These qualities help them maintain their integrity in harsh conditions.
- Hygienic design. Since the plastic material is resistant to detergents, these components can be easily cleaned and sterilized without fear of damage or degradation. This makes it easier for facility workers to maintain sanitary conditions.
- Low maintenance requirements. As MPM guard rails are flexible and durable, they require less maintenance, repair, and replacement than other types of guard rails.
- Good cost-effectiveness. The low maintenance/replacement cost of MPM guard rails, combined with their effectiveness at preventing injury and damage, helps lower the facility’s overall operational costs. Facilities are less likely to need to repair damage, pay for worker compensation, or replace broken goods.
The above characteristics make MPM plastic guard rails suitable for installation in a wide range of industrial and commercial facilities and locations. Typical uses include:
- Car parks
- Food & beverage processing plants
- Industrial facilities and warehouses
- Medical facilities
- Retail stores
- Transportation & logistics centers
Guard Rail Solutions From Ontario Bollards
Need guard rails for your industrial or commercial facility? Turn to the experts at Ontario Bollards! We offer both steel and polymer barrier systems, including steel and MPM plastic guard rails. To learn more about our products and how they can benefit your facility, contact us today. For assistance choosing an appropriate safety barrier product, request a quote.